Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals



Benefits of DACA

  • Defers active deportation for two years
  • Allows applicants to receive two years of work authorization for legal employment in the United States



DACA Process

  • Step 1: Prepare and submit Forms I-821D, I-765 and I-765W to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) along with the necessary fees and supporting documentation (see below)
  • Step 2: USCIS will send you receipt notices, usually within a few weeks
  • Step 3: USCIS will send you an appointment letter with a date, time and location to have your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) taken
  • Step 4: Receive approval notices followed by your Employment Authorization Card (work permit) valid for two year
  • Step 5:  Apply for a social security card with the Social Security Administration followed by an Identification/Driver’s License with DMV

To check the status of your application click here 



Eligibility for DACA (as of September 5, 2017)

  • No Initial Applications will be accepted
  • Only Renewal Applications will be accepted by Ocober 5, 2017
  • Only for DACA work permits that expire between September 5, 2017 and March 5, 2017
  • No felonies, significant misdemeanors or three or more other misdemeanors, and does not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety, see United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) guidelines for more information. For more specific information click here
  • Review criminal history with an Immigration Attorney or Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) Accredited Representative before applying  



Documents Needed for Renewal Applications

  • Current work permit 
  • Copy of prior DACA application                          
  • California ID or driver’s license                              
  • Social Security Card      
  • Two passport style photos (2x2)  
  • Check or Money Order for $495 payable to Department of Homeland Security
  • Certified court records for all arrests (if any)
  • Certified court records for any arrests. Click here for how to obtain legal documents